• Slushers | Coal, Colliery and Mining Forum.

    Nov 30, 2012· Coal, Colliery and Mining Forum. Questions and Answers. Slushers. Mining Methods and Geology. ... Here's a photo of the ripping s after firing, you can see the "rings" (arches)....Seems they call the rippings the caunch where this photo was taken. ... a crude version of the old bottom-loading face conveyors. The one I worked on was in a ...

    read more

  • Newton, Derbyshire - Wikipedia

    Before the coming of the deep mines in 1868, coal-mining was done on a relatively small scale and the Blackwell area was better known as a centre for domestic framework knitting of hosiery. 1868: The Babbington Colliery Company opened the first deep mine at Tibshelf "Bottom Pit".

    read more

  • Brandy Bottom - AIBT

    Information on progress can be found on the Brandy Bottom project progress page of the website. The history of the colliery was published in 2013 (see photo of the front cover on the right). Copies are available through the post at a cost of £9.50, which includes £2.50 p+p, by sending an email request to [email protected]

    read more

  • tibshelf old bottom coal colliery information and photos ...

    Information, photographs and plans for Tibshelf Old Bottom Coal Colliery on the mine exploration web site aditnowcouk » Learn More. Picture the Past. Now the local authorities, with the help of the Heritage Lottery Fund, have made it possible to search all these images on the internet, via this unique website , Robin Hood Alfreton Colliery ...

    read more

  • Photos of Tibshelf Old Bottom Coal Colliery - Mine exploration

    Photographs of Tibshelf Old Bottom Coal Colliery on the mine exploration web site www.aditnow.co.uk.

    read more

  • Tibshelf village in Derbyshire

    Tibshelf Tibshelf in East Derbyshire is a large, former coal mining village, with a population of around 3300. Its coal mining industry goes back over 650 years and ended just 70 years ago when the 2 longest surving pits, Long pit and Bottom pit were closed.

    read more

  • BRANDY BOTTOM COLLIERY and was used for gas ... - AIBT

    BRANDY BOTTOM COLLIERY PUCKLECHURCH The Brandy Bottom Colliery was worked between 1837 and 1936, firstly as an ration to the nearby Parkfield Colliery. The remains of the buildings, and some of the surrounding area, were made a Scheduled , …

    read more

  • Brookhill Colliery, Pinxton - Mines Rescue

    Brookhill Colliery, Pinxton. This colliery was at the side of Pinxton Wharf, the extension of the Cromford Canal to this site being privately funded a long time ago to send coal along the canal. The colliery owner I believe also owned the famous Pinxton China factory so these products were also possibly distributed this way? More Photos of Pinxton

    read more

  • Mining In Somercotes | Somercotes History Society

    The horse gin was sometime called a horse whimsey . The name lives on today in Somercotes. The pond serving the boiler house at Swanwick Colliery was referred to as the Whimsey by local people, and the access road to Nix’s Hill Industrial Estate, built on the site of the old colliery, was named Wimsey Way, although the spelling is now different.

    read more

  • Six Bells Colliery - Wikipedia

    Six Bells Colliery Disaster. On 28 June 1960, at approximately 10:45, an explosion took place in the West District of the Old Coal Seam, caused by an ignition of firedamp. Coal-dust in the air ignited and the explosion spread almost throughout the district.

    read more

  • Pits - East Midlands - Mines Rescue

    Annesley Pit near Kirkby-in-Ashfield was sunk in 1860 by the Annesley Colliery Co. with production beginning in 1865. Two shafts were sunk to the Top Hard seam and each had it's own headgear. In 1925 the colliery was sold to the New Hucknall Colliery Company and in 1947 it was nationalsied.

    read more

  • Past Unforgotten - Tibshelf Parish Council

    Two long rows of artisans’ houses built to accommodate the miners who worked at Tibshelf “Bottom Pit”. As with the houses on Primrose Terrace, which were similar in style, they were condemned and demolished in the late 1960s. ... and including the old cottages opposite. Exact boundaries not known. ... A small colliery situated to the rear ...

    read more

  • Somerset Coalfield - Wikipedia

    The Somerset Coalfield in northern Somerset, England is an area where coal was mined from the 15th century until 1973. It is part of a larger coalfield which stretched into southern Gloucestershire.The Somerset coalfield stretched from Cromhall in the north to the Mendip Hills in the south, and from Bath in the east to Nailsea in the west, a total area of about 240 square miles (622 km 2).

    read more

  • Newmarket Colliery, West Yorkshire. 1973 | 5towns Mines ...

    Whitwood Coal Colliery information and photos. Purple Faye. 5towns Mines. What others are saying ... you will explore this unique stretch of Italian coastline from top to bottom. Visit each of these colorful seaside towns in the best way possible, by train, boat and hiking. ... S134 crosses the road with coal for Fryston. I love those old ...

    read more

  • Coal Mine England Stock Photos and Images - alamy.com

    Feb. 29, 2012 - In The World To A Fully Automated Coal Mine - England: An elaborate central control room receiving information on the operating state of all parts of the mine is the nerve centre of vrootes Colliery, nottinghamshire, which is expected to begin production on the first of five remotely operated coalfaces later this year.

    read more

  • Westhouses - Wikipedia

    The second station became known as Westhouses & Blackwell. Branchlines ran to New Hucknall colliery and New Hucknall Sidings on the Great Central Railway. A through line ran to Tibshelf, Sutton Colliery, Silverhill, Butcherwood and Pleasley Colliery, finally connecting with the Robin Hood line at Mansfield Woodhouse.

    read more

  • Tibshelf's Industries - Tibshelf Parish Council

    The building to the left is the old vicarage, with railway workers cottages to the right. The Parish Church of St. John The Baptist can be seen in the distance. Tibshelf Bottom Pit was situated around the ponds at the end of the Five Pits Trail, and as formally known as Pts 1 & 2.

    read more

  • Glapwell - Neil's Local History & Mining Site

    Glapwell Colliery was one of the new Top Hards collieries of the Sheepbridge Coal and iron Company in an era when the country required good coking and steam coal. The colliery is actually sited in Ault Hucknall but was named after the nearby village of Glapwell, a village which at this time only constituted 18 houses, some nearly 500 ...

    read more

  • Old railway - Mine exploration

    Part of the old railway with the bridge over Newton Road (Mar 2011) ... Quarries & Sites > Tibshelf Old Bottom Coal Colliery > Photographs Of Tibshelf Old Colliery > Old railway ... [/photo] To display this photograph in a forum message and link to the full size image please copy the text below and paste it into your forum message: [link]60540 ...

    read more

  • Tibshelf New Top Coal Colliery information and photos

    Information, photographs and plans for Tibshelf New Top Coal Colliery on the mine exploration web site www.aditnow.co.uk.

    read more

  • Brandy Bottom: History - AIBT

    Brandy Bottom: History ... Horizontal Engine House from the Old Pit heapstead in 1985. Photo by T Rendall. The 21st Century. The site was made a Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 1091400, on 22 January 2001, and the AIBT started working on the conservation of the buildings in 2007. Further information. Brandy Bottom Colliery Historical Research ...

    read more

  • 20-Emails - History

    New Granby, a colliery in its own right was sunk approximately 400 yards to the north of Old Granby, which would have closed before or when New Granby started. Of course invariably some or all of the best workforce would transfer but of course not all at the beginning, because the new mine would have to be developed and have new coal faces ...

    read more

  • 1930- Bob Bradley

    The use of the hand-held electric drilling machines for boring holes for the use of explosives at the coal-face and ripping lips came into general use. Locally these were known as ram’s heads. However many colliery companies still relied on ‘hand power’ as seen in the photo.

    read more